Sports Babble - sports forum
Should have, would have, could have - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: National League (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+----- Forum: Chesterfield (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+----- Thread: Should have, would have, could have (/showthread.php?tid=7776)

Should have, would have, could have - Dancingwilldoit - 11-11-2018

We really should have won yesterday, we would have broken our run of draws and could have been in the draw for the next round.
We were by far the better team and played some good flowing football.
Deserved a lot better but the ref was having none of it.
Levi looked hungry when he came on. He really has it all, just hope they don't waste him and destroy his talent.

RE: Should have, would have, could have - SaltergateBorn - 11-11-2018

I think you might be being a bit unfair to Billericay there, Dancing; I thought they played some decent stuff after the first half-hour and certainly weren`t frightened of putting their bodies on the line at the end when they were holding out for the draw.

Credit to their manager, too; after the first 30 minutes I thought we were going to win by 3 or 4, but he changed the system and from then until they equalised I thought they controlled midfield at times. Once they did score, I thought it was a bit like the Wrexham game; they sat back and tried to play on the break. I thought they did it quite well, too, but that perhaps made our midfield look better than it was.

It`s always hard when a defence is well-organised and you`re trying to get through a penalty area packed with a dozen or so sets of arms and legs , but I do still worry about that lack of penetration in the final third. Amantchi, when he came on, seemed to be the only one with that bit of flair and imagination that you need in those circumstances. We really don`t seem to have a natural goalscorer in the squad – or is it the creative midfielder? It all looked a bit stereotyped at times to me and a bit too reliant on set-pieces.

I agree entirely about the ref. I`m normally fairly even-tempered at games – hard to believe, I know, but true! – and have a lot of symapthy with referees these days. The antics of players generally make their job pretty much impossible, imo, and I personally wouldn`t do it in a million years. I have to admit, though, that a few times yesterday I was on my feet giving him a blast of the verbals; he really was a shocker. He was completely inconsistent , sometimes following the ‘if a player falls over, it`s invariably a foul’ school of thought, then seconds later ignoring a blatant shove or short-pull. Infuriating and at times spoiled the game, I thought.

Technically though, Dancing, we are actually in the draw for the next round and I`m actually quite confident about the replay; I still think we`ll get through. (Oh dear; I really shouldn`t have said that, should I.)

RE: Should have, would have, could have - Devongone - 12-11-2018

If you read Bob's there are one or two like you two ..... but precious precious few. Most of them seem to think it is beyond a disgrace we can't thrash Billericay. We are Man Utd. We are Barcelona.

Personally I can't remember us ever having a team which I could have guaranteed would thrash that Billericay team.

Cookie's team would have beaten them I'm sure.
Sheridan's best team would have broken them down too.
John Duncan's cup side had got enough to make me confident, Arthur Cox's boys would have had too much class, but then it would have been back to the days of Tom Fenoughty and Dan Archer for another side I could be sure of.

The truth is we've had many teams who would have struggled badly against the current Billericay, not least Gary Caldwell and Jack Lester and even Danny in his second season.

From the highlights we certainly looked okay. Neutrals like the BBC seemed to think we were decent too. I think fans often see exactly what they expect and currently anything crap comes up covered in highlighter pen and any promising stuff is immediately redacted.

When they make the draw tonight no one will want the potential banana skin of Billericay and whoever we draw will be hoping Chesterfield, the devil they know, comes through the replay.

RE: Should have, would have, could have - SaltergateBorn - 12-11-2018

You`re probably right, Dev; Cookie`s teams probably would have beaten Billericay easily, but sadly Cookie`s team ain`t around no more. Nor are any of the other past teams you mention. They all SHOULD have, PROBABLY would have, but you know as well as I do that there are no guarantees in football and we have a record over the years of being consistently inconsistent in the FA Cup. How many years ago was it that we beat West Ham in the League Cup then fell flat on our arses a few weeks later – or was it days? – in the FA Cup against Basingstoke. It`s the way we roll; always has been.

I haven`t had a look at the highlights on SD yet but, yes, I thought we were okay. The defence looks far more solid than it did a few weeks ago and Smith is definitely a positive influence in midfield – hopefully he`ll be even more of one when Carter comes back. If we could just sort out that final third and start sticking the ball in the bloody net a few times we`d be climbing up the table with no trouble at all.

That`s why, at the risk of tempting fate, I`m still fairly confident about getting through and in fact toying with idea of going to the replay. What`s the betting we beat Grimsby if we do? I wouldn`t put it past us.

RE: Should have, would have, could have - Devongone - 13-11-2018

If Grimsby were in our league, would they be top? I don't think so.

I think they'll be scared to death of a long embarrassing journey back from Billericay and just a bit worried about us .....