Sports Babble - sports forum
Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Huddersfield Town (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+----- Thread: Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... (/showthread.php?tid=7651)

Pages: 1 2

Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - Amelia Chaffinch - 11-10-2018

... well, against these teams, at least:

Croatia v England 
Friday 12th October
19:45
at Stadion HNK Rijeka

[Image: stadionfotka-650x300.jpg]

Although, we won't be there as it's an oo, ever so private affair behind closed doors. Is it them that's the naughty ones of Europe now?  Whistle
Rose and McCarthy are out of the squad so it won't be Rose diving for the penalty that I have predicted Kane will score. I'd like to say that Kane and penalties is a new prejudice of mine, with our recent fixture in mind, but Spurs have been long been my irrational dislike. I know we have discussed this before but what team(s) can't you stand, especially if you can't think of a single reason for it? 

Apparently, Jadon Sancho of Dortmund is in the squad which lends the question: Who the heck is he?  Wink

Another strange call-up is Lewis Dunk.

Not so strange is a possible first start for Ben Chilwell. 

Have you any more team news for us or opinions of the team thereof?

Spain v England
Monday 15th October
19:45
at Benito Villamarín, Seville

[Image: 28828600_1803793066342591_5342896099752462275_o.jpg]

Wales are playing Spain in a friendly tonight.
Spain's starting line-up has been named as follows:

De Gea

14 Azpilicueta

Albiol

15 Ramos

18 Gayá

Saúl

16 Hernández

22 Ceballos

11 Fernández Saez

Morata

Alcácer

Do you think this will be the team to play England, bearing in mind this is a friendly and Monday is the Nations League? What might we expect?

Any other thoughts you'd like to share during this international break or about any of the home nation matches?

Town allegedly have 9 players away on international duty. Can you name them all (quick smart  Big Grin )?

[Image: CuP92qNXYAA_Ocg.jpg]

RE: Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - jjamez - 11-10-2018

Dont have much time for the manc clubs, I like and loath Liverpool in the same instant.

On the other hand, I have a lot of time for newcastle and I really do feel sorry for their fans with this ashley situation. They for me are a top eight club in regards to the infrastructure, just the money spent on the players going on the pitch is a shame.

As for sancho, I'd say he's a brave young lad, turning down a guaranteed payslip at mancity in order to challenge himself on multiple levels in germany. He's actually had a dramatic rise in all fairness. Missed out on the last england u21 squad as he hadnt been playing at a level for long.
Sky did a piece yesterday about english players playing abroad, obviously there are the players chelsea send abroad like they did with mount, also in the england squad, but theres a fair few others, especially young players. Panzo ex chelsea at monaco, reiss nelson on loan at hoffenheim to name a couple.
Theres obviously other players that have gone to lower standard leagues in the likes of thailand such as danny guthrie and carlton cole. But theres younger players who have gone abroad that dont get any recognition. A player called ryan williams who used to play for morecambe but left to join Ottawa, later going down to Brazil to play in their second division. He's now back in england at Tranmere, after clubs refused to give him a go, saying they thought he had quit or had been injured. Theres been much made of football snobbery after graeme potter was named swansea manager, but thats another story.
A player called jamie Lawrence also plays abroad and again will probably always get overlooked if he wanted to come back. The phrase out of sight out of mind comes to my mind

RE: Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - Lord Snooty - 11-10-2018

Nine players away on international duty. Little Hoodezfield Town. Who'd a thunk it?
Well it's only eight now, seeing as Aaron Mooy has pulled out of the Aussie squad.

RE: Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - talkSAFT - 12-10-2018

I lived the other end of Leeds Road for some years, and got to dislike the Club because of their fans.
(To hear them speak you'd think they had won the League Treble, or some other remarkable feat - not just the World's Unluckiest Runners-up).

RE: Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - SHEP_HTAFC - 12-10-2018

Got a dislike of Rangers. Living up in Glasgow for over 20 years you get to know about the big 2....and Rangers fans are far and away the worst.
Maybe it's the turmoil over the last few years that has caused them all to be so bitter. Maybe the fact Celtic have won the big European trophy. Or maybe just the fact they are generally a spiteful and nasty lot.
Really have no time for most of them. Some of my best mates up here are Rangers fans.....great guys but when it comes to Rangers and the other lot....the bile surfaces.

RE: Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - WakeyTerrier - 12-10-2018

Absolutely ridiculous that tonight's game is being played behind closed doors. Quite a few England fans had paid for flights and hotels in Zagreb before UEFA decided that a punishment from way back when was still in force despite the fact they've played several competitive home games since the first match behind closed doors. I want England to win but even more so for those poor lads and lasses who couldn't get a refund of any sort. With a bit of luck those that go to the ground will get in, just turn up in a hi-vis jacket and a pitch fork and tell them you're part of the ground staff. Any sort of win will do to stay in with a chance of qualifying for next summers finals which look increasingly like being in Lisbon
Then on Monday we move on to beautiful city of Sevilla, when asked why I watch England then here is one of the answers.. the great places you get to visit. 25/30C at the end of October, plenty of historical places to see and visit and a football game and a few CruzCampo thrown in and what's not to like about it?
Keep an eye out for the Wakey Terriers flag which will hopefully be hanging out at the front of the top tier up in the gods although on popular trips its getting harder and harder to find the space. By the way have you noticed when looking at all these flags very few belong to the big clubs supporters in England.

(12-10-2018, 11:17)WakeyTerrier Wrote: By the way have you noticed when looking at all these flags very few belong to the big clubs supporters in England.

Just yours, Wakey. Big Grin

RE: Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - Amelia Chaffinch - 12-10-2018

Our Wakey has been displaying his flag, loud and proud, at England matches way before we were a big Whistle club. Lol

(12-10-2018, 16:42)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: Our Wakey has been displaying his flag, loud and proud, at England matches way before we were a big Whistle club. Lol

He must be an old b*stard then, Amy. 1920s?
You won more in the 20s than Leeds ever have.
1920s or 1970s: every bit as relevant.

RE: Match thread - England v the rest of the world.... - Amelia Chaffinch - 12-10-2018

Wakey's fair to middling agewise lol