Sports Babble - sports forum
You're just a Dinosaur ! - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: National League (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+----- Forum: Chesterfield (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+----- Thread: You're just a Dinosaur ! (/showthread.php?tid=7541)

Pages: 1 2

You're just a Dinosaur ! - bluepooch - 22-09-2018

Their fans singing 'you're just a Dinosaur' was one of the more embarrassing things today and you know what, I bloody agree with them. We have taken a thousand backward steps since the Paul Cook days both in quality and style of play.I found myself shouting 'Hooof' every time we launched it .
Steve Watson ,another progressive young manager ,has Gateshead playing slick attractive football on nowhere near the budget that MA has enjoyed.We are a horrible team to watch and this cannot go on much longer .I know I've said there's no point in sacking him because the idiots at the top are rubbish at recruitment but after today honestly believe they need to get rid and try yet again to get someone in who can recreate the good times,surely they'll get it right one day ,christ I'd even have Jack Lester back rather than watch that shit we witnessed today .

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - Devongone - 23-09-2018

I already put my oar in on your Team for Saturday thread. I'm more worried about MA's man management than his rubbish style of play.

He's apparently all for communicating and sending messages, but he seems to be sending all the wrong ones at the wrong time. Imagine being Muggleton for instance. How must he feel? He's there as sub' and he knows MA's thinking, if booting it, passing it, dribbling it and heading it all fail, we'll bring Muggleton on to throw it at them, he can't do anything else .......... Bet he feels motivated and part of the squad, bet he feels like a genuine weapon in the team's armoury! Bet he doesn't go out there thinking, hope I don't actually have to kick it.

I think MA is giving us third-rate, stupid management. Lincoln didn't, and still aren't playing any kind of advance sooper footie to win this division. But they did it efficiently, they fought hard, tackled and defended and very often they just wore their opposition down and struck. Last season Macclesfield consolidated their position at the top by bringing in some big hold-up men with striking power, they didn't have 11 Danny Whitakers. I don't think anyone would describe Justin Edinburgh as a "modern" manager and he's top! If MA has a plan in mind, it isn't even beginning to work. Dinosaurs survived longer than any living creature on the planet now .......... I reckon you could even be a dinosaur and succeed if you make being a dinosaur work for you.

Play Amantchi with Denton, Fortune and Kayode and I bet we'll score. Unfortunately we'd need a bloody good plan not to concede.

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - bluepooch - 23-09-2018

Like I've said before ,teams learn how to deal with the long ball game ,modern coaching has developed and the dinosaurs are facing extinction.
Lincoln are a rare example of that philosophy working nowadays .Probably because ,like you say ,they are very good at it .But when it doesn't work it will lead to empty stands because the entertainment value is zero.I was entertained yesterday by Gateshead and their easy on the eye playing it mainly on the floor at pace and moving forward .It was good to watch.
Yesterday we didn't lack effort as the Dino-bore Allen was suggesting ,we lacked real direction from the coaching staff .

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - Dancingwilldoit - 23-09-2018

Just sat with a beer and its cooled down to 25 degrees thank god. Its been 30+ every day the last week and watching Spanish Womens Football sounds a lot more entertaining than CFC.
It does seem MA has lost the plot. From what I did witness before I came away Nelson was a liability and Maguire has spent most of his time on the bench despite not putting a foot wrong in the games I have watched. Why? Carter allegedly trains for 3 hours and is in the starting 11 , why? We have players in our squad who can play football with the ball at their feet, we play hoofball (unsuccessfully), why?
It doesn't look good but my next beer does.

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - bluepooch - 24-09-2018

I reckon the Spanish women's team would run rings round this team .
Never before have I come close to wanting us to lose a game but I'm thinking maybe if we did lose Tuesday night the idiots in charge would have to make another change and with a finger in the air maybe find another Paul Cook.
To be honest I'm cool with it ,If we win then good but if we lose then it may also be good .

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - Devongone - 24-09-2018

You don't really convince me Blue. Watson is 44, Weaver at Harrogate is 40, Edinburgh is 48, Guardiola is 48-ish, Mourinho is 55, Martin Allen is 53. They're part of over lapping generations. You're discovering a non-existent phenomenon mate. Martin Allen would become a modern manager in every supporter's eyes if he won the next four games and every single goal was from a dead-ball, or a long throw. Steve Watson would stop being a modern manager if Rigg were returned to his parent club and not replaced.

Martin Allen's managerial performance is currently crap. He has massively more resources than Steve Watson, so we can't blame DA or AC. Even if he's intending playing a long ball game, which I'm not convinced of anyway, MA is making a shocking job of it. Lincoln for instance didn't just lump the ball, their midfield pressed, they were the fittest team, they won the ball in midfield, their centre backs ..... well one is now in Division One and the other in the Championship ..... and their full backs were decent too. But they did use the long ball both as an outlet and an attacking threat. And it worked.

If you are permanently one-dimensional in any way, then defence IS easy. We've recently had a side which regularly achieved 50+% possession, but that counted for nothing, because it didn't even turn that into unsuccessful efforts on goal. Teams will let you pass in front of them, just as they'll deal with a long ball if you can't find your own man or he isn't supported. (In local football we used eat teams that just wanted to show us their passing game, we just took away the pitch! We closed them down, pushed our defence to the halfway way line, if they'd wide men, we forced them inside. They'd spend the whole game trapped in one area of the pitch, giving up the ball from time to time in areas where they seriously didn't want to lose it. Unless they'd got something more, they were finished.)

MA needs to sort his head out and decide what he's doing and make it clear what the team is doing (whatever that is!). Why waste a contract on Muggleton if his only use is to come on and hurl the ball if we reach the last ten minutes and reach desperation. That means of five subs we're allowed , one is mostly going to be a keeper 'cos ours is ancient and another will only be used in desperate circs! So MA is already reducing his stock of potential game changers to three, and one of those probably has to be a defender in case of injury ....... so options off the bench are minimal before we even kick off. Good thinking!

I've said before my thought is come out of the traps like a a bolt from hell, press in midfield, force the opposition into conceding corners and throw-ins before they've settled and profit both when we do something right and the opposition fcks up, because a very high percentage of goals do just come from opposition mistakes and sheer dumb luck. So that means if you've got the bloke with the longest throw start him, take him off ten minutes into the second half if you want, but you either make use of him, or get rid of him. Why handicap yourself with a bloke on the bench you don't want to use?

I thought signing a fourth centre back would be good, because it increased our options, we might even play three at the back and still have a fit guy in reserve ....... but MA has used Hollis to break up any centre back combo', so we get no consistency. I reckon centre backs are pivotal. If they work you're three quarters of the way to a team. Get a partnership FFS! And a partnership involves two players of differing abilities, so they cover each other's weaknesses and play to each other's strengths!

If anyone is a dinosaur surely Warnock qualifies, but surrounded by these younger men, with new ideas, at clubs with boards much more prepared to invest than Cardiff's it was Warnock who won promotion. There was nothing revolutionary about his style, his team was full of old-fashioned values. Only now when he comes up against teams which massively out-resource him all over the field, do the values and methods he instilled come into question.

Top of Division One - Portsmouth and Peterborough ..... top of Division Two - Lincoln City. They are there because they win, not because they're beautiful or full of modern inventions. That doesn't mean I don't want to see an original like Bielsa succeed even though he's at Leeds. I love his ideas. I admire Guardiola. But that doesn't stop me thinking all kinds of styles can work, but you have to use them well.

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - Devongone - 24-09-2018

And is this good management or bad to tell us a day and a half before the game that Weir will play and Rowley will be sub?
So I suppose he means he's going with Saturday's walloped team other than The Dismissable Mr Hines. So that means Nelson and Hollis at centre back. Kayode on the bench ........ No Fortune or Amantchi. Crowd prediction 3,407.

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - bluepooch - 24-09-2018

Dev,Its not just the age of the manager when I refer to Dinosaurs its just as much to do with the old fashioned playing style and the length of time they've been doing it .Allen has been managing for nigh-on 20 years.
Watson and Weaver are new to management and probably have a modern type of approach whereas Allen and Warnock play the old fashioned way of direct/ percentages football .As I said ,it can be effective but less so in the modern era and when it doesn't work it is awful to watch .
As far a blame for our predicament is concerned I put it partly down to the dinosaur but also the owner who has put his faith in his right hand man to run the club and who has clearly created a massive mess and is still in a job.

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - Devongone - 25-09-2018

But Carson isn't pulling on his shorts and hoofing the ball upfield. Dave Allen isn't getting by-passed in midfield.

Gateshead really did lose their squad in the close season and still won 0-3 ...........

DA and AC are to blame for the atmosphere at the club, but MA is totally to blame for the poor management in evidence. Yes maybe he's been at it too long ....... but Justin Edinburgh is top ...... same generation as Allen, lots of experience, been round the block, struggled last season .........

We've come down from the EFL bemoaning the inexperience and naivety of our last two managers. Now we've got loads of experience and you're not the only one saying that's a bad thing. He's out of date. Gary Caldwell and Jack Lester certainly weren't out of date, but they couldn't win a game or recruit a half-decent player. What do we want?

Five teams in our division have older managers. Then Tim Flowers, Paul Doswell, and Andy Hessenthaler are very much the same generation, within a couple of years. Certainly there are young managers like Luke Garrard, Matthew Bates, Sam Ricketts, Darryl McMahon, Harry Wheeler, Ian Evatt and Brad Quinton - all under 40. The rest are 40 somethings, not many with a record of success, that would have led you to jump for joy at their appointment. Jamie Fullarton (44) got Halifax off to a flyer, how long did he last at Notts County as manager, was it 12 games? Steve Watson got the chance to take over a team which barely existed, with no management experience. Would we have jumped at him? Graham Alexander (mid 40s) lots of experience, bursts of exciting success, interspersed with longer-term failure ..... we'd have said okay, but there wouldn't have been any street parties. Challinor at Fylde, doing fine, but could we pay more than them and why opt for increased stress? A young man like Matthew Bates, doing well at Hartlepool, but he got that chance because the club fell apart? Would he have been a runner for us ....... even if he's on course to be the next Brian Clough? And then there's Sutton, whose manager Paul Doswell is an amateur who sponsors them and bought their artificial pitch and who is just a bit younger than MA. We'd have loved his money, but would we have let him run the team?

So we want someone young, but not totally inexperienced like our beloved Jack Lester. We want someone with up-to-the-minute ideas whose plans aren't so obscure that an experienced player like Sam Hird ends up shouting to the touchline to ask what the hell is going on ........ a la Caldwell. We want someone who is focused on winning matches, but who plays football the way the crowd wants (even though what the crowd wants seems to change with the wind). We want him to be a good communicator who explains what he is doing and why. We want him to care ......... We don't want someone embarrassing. And of course he has to be able to cope with the bizarre internal politics of a club in freefall, not irritate the owner, maintain a distance yet foster a working relationship with AC and still be liked and trusted by the fans.

I'm kind of edging towards Benedict Cumberbatch, but I'm worried about his apparent absence of interest in football. Or we could go for Matt Smith, best Dr Who since John Pertwee, used to be on Leicester City's books in his youth .... popular, personable ......

RE: You're just a Dinosaur ! - SaltergateBorn - 25-09-2018

I`ve heard a rumour that Merlin is in trouble at Tintagel Trotters and might be on the way out soon. Apparently, he`s had a bust-up with the owner - Pendragon, I think his name is. He must have had experience of bad spells like ours and know what to do about it.

I can`t talk about Saturday `cos I didn`t go, thank God, but I have to say I can`t think of a single game I`ve seen this season where the players gave less than 100%. Yes, they may have served up crap of the highest magnitude but there has been no lack of effort as far as I have seen. That suggests that the players are `playing` for MA, which doesn`t scream bad man-management to my thinking.

I think we also need not to lose sight of the fact that MA has still had less than a dozen competitive games in charge. There`s been a hefty turnover in players in those games, rightly or wrongly, as well as injuries and suspensions and we either give him more time to get it right or we get rid and go for a fourth manager in the blink of an eye - who would, no doubt, go through the same process all over again. MA would also have to be paid off, of course. As he points out in his interview on SD, he won this league a couple of years ago and won League 2 a couple of years before that. If he`s become a dinosaur in that time, there must have been one hell of an extinction event that I missed.

When I said a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn`t be going along again until late October, I didn`t realise that we had a game tonight. I`ve decided that, as things seem to have been so bad on Saturday even I can`t put the heebie-jeebies on us so I`m going. You have been warned.