Sports Babble - sports forum
For those waving goodbye to Jack - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: National League (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+----- Forum: Chesterfield (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=85)
+----- Thread: For those waving goodbye to Jack (/showthread.php?tid=6456)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - bluepooch - 15-03-2018

I've just listened to Jacks interview and at least he acknowledges Saturday was awful which is a start .It's what he is capable of doing about it that is key going forward.If its true he gave them a rollicking from hell this week then, if he has any influence at all,we should see an improved display on Saturday at least effort wise .

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - Dancingwilldoit - 16-03-2018

Somehow I would imagine a tongue lashing from JL is the equivalent of being hit on the backside with a leaf. He somehow doesn't strike me as somebody capable of giving it where it hurts.
I know as well that I should really be careful what I type with you and Dev reading. I don't want you 2 getting excited again.

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - Devongone - 16-03-2018

I don't believe the players want to lose. I don't believe you have to shout to gain respect. And in my experience the quieter man is generally harder than the guy shouting his mouth off.

Fluent as Jack is, I'm guessing our players haven't got to grips with what is expected of them ......... much as they didn't get to grips with what GC expected from them. In GC's case I suspect he was the only one clear on how his plans were supposed to work. Maybe Jack has too many ideas and theories for them.

They perform as if they go out with a vision of what is supposed to happen. On the rare occasions that it DOES happen they look like they did against Luton. When reality doesn't match what is in their heads they quickly get disappointed, stop believing in the plan and aren't inventive enough to come up with anything better to get back in the game themselves. I'm thinking Jack needs to train them in a couple of alternative ways to play when things are going wrong. So he can say switch and everyone knows it is three at the back, a central midfielder becomes just a holding player, the full backs push on etc ......... and everyone still knows their job. Currently we sit at 0-0, the opposition score either in the 44th or 47th minute and the game is over. 0-0 was the best and most original we could be ........

Jack isn't a physically intimidating man. I remember years ago Jock Wallace managing Leicester to win every week at the old div 2, Championship level. He had a team full of young players. They ran and ran. A young Gary Lineker was up front. One day he was asked why the team worked so hard and never gave up. He nodded over to Wallace and said, "Would you come back in this dressing room to face him if you hadn't given everything?" But everything humans will do out of fear, they'll do for love too.

Very few people want to fail. No one wants to be bottom. When we beat Cheltenham tomorrow watch the players celebrate.

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - bluepooch - 16-03-2018

You've touched on something there Dev,
I don't think the players either FEAR the manager or relegation nor LOVE the club enough especially the younger ones .

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - Devongone - 17-03-2018

You're right Pooch, there's got to be something, fear or love or even an overwhelming sense of duty. There has to be something going on under that shirt that they kiss when they score.

I think fear of messing up is central at the moment. And I was always feel that when you are too concerned with messing-up that's exactly what happens.

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - bluepooch - 17-03-2018

Looking at the team today at least he has seen sense and brought back Dennis,the only player likely to score .To leave Dennis out and play O'Grady is madness .He is right to give Brown another chance.

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - spireitematt - 17-03-2018

Good point but shame we couldn't get all 3 as it would have helped.

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - bluepooch - 17-03-2018

Sounds like we didn't deserve to win but at least we battled which is the minimum we are going to need every game .I suppose we have to say in isolation it was a good away point against an in form team
We do need to start matching teams though ,we have been second best too many times and logic says the team with more shots and possession invariably comes out on top .Thats been proved in most of our game since Christmas.
Oh for the Paul Cook days when we used to dominate teams ,unfortunately it looks like we haven't got the players to do that now.

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - spireitematt - 18-03-2018

5 wins and 2 draws would keep us up or 4 wins and 3 draws.

RE: For those waving goodbye to Jack - Devongone - 19-03-2018

With Martin Allen back in charge we'll have all on staying ahead of Barnet never mind netting the Jolley Mariners.

My main gripe with CO'G is not that he doesn't score, but that the team struggles to score when he plays.

Ricky German apparently missed 102 chances for Matlock on Saturday in their defeat by Farsley, so it doesn't particularly sound he'll improve things next season ......... though I still think he looks a bit more threatening than our forwards. For all his seventeen goals Dennis somehow doesn't carry himself like THE MAN.

Must say at 1-1 and us in desperate need of three points I'd have thrown on Hines or O'Grady for the last few minutes. One point will only be useful if Grimsby continue in complete meltdown, three might have contributed to their nerves.

My question is this, has any manager ever been appointed 5 times to manage the same club .............

And why did Stevenage sack Sarll? They are in no danger. Their own youth players are coming through to the first team. They have non-leaguers recruited for nothing proving they can do it at a league level. They look like a long-term project, but unfortunately Sarll was in a short-term world.