Sports Babble - sports forum
A stay of execution - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: West Bromwich Albion (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+----- Thread: A stay of execution (/showthread.php?tid=6377)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: A stay of execution - BaggieSteve - 05-03-2018

I have to agree with Baggieman and 4eva. I think JP gave our club great service and put in place a well structured and financially sustainable club. I know that sounds pretty unimpressive during a time where the money in the game has gone insane and, frankly, obscene. But, without a solid foundation, a club like the Albion, without the bottomless wallet backing of a sovereign wealth fund or an overseas billionaire, have to get the basics right. I, like nearly all of us, got frustrated at our transfer policy, particularly when we missed out on signings when it looked like we were penny pinching. I also accept the criticism of JP towards the end of his tenure when he was trying to sell the club but, overall, I think he got far more right than he got wrong. He was, first and foremost, a business man and investor but he was also a supporter and, I believe, genuinely cared about the club. When he sold the club, he made a substantial profit. So what? He didn’t asset strip the club, he didn’t flog off facilities, he didn’t sell stadium naming rights. He invested in infrastructure, the training set up and the Academy. I know we’re all passionate fans and I also know that football is like no other business but it is a business now, not a social enterprise or a charity (except on a Saturday afternoon!). If all of us bought into a business, it’s likely we would do so to turn as big a profit as we could on our investment so why should we judge others differently?
I’m not saying JP was perfect by any means but I also think he gets a bum rap sometimes

RE: A stay of execution - Dingle-Dingle - 05-03-2018

Off with his head.

DD Angry Angry

RE: A stay of execution - Beefy 1965 - 05-03-2018

Ok according to one or two sources on Twitter it seems we won't sack Pardew until relegation is confirmed
Why ? He has a bonus of a couple Million to keep us up,if sacked now we would still have to pay it as he actually hasn't taken us down
Be interesting on Saturday when we lose then to see exactly what's happens Whistle

From Twitter ......

Sack him today and the club has to pay out millions of £

Sack him in a few games when relegation is confirmed the club can sack him without a fee.

For me this is a business decision absolutely nothing to do with there being no suitable candidate to replace .....

#WBA

RE: A stay of execution - Baggiebob(BBB) - 05-03-2018

(05-03-2018, 12:52)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Ok according to one or two sources on Twitter it seems we won't sack Pardew until relegation is confirmed
Why ? He has a bonus of a couple Million to keep us up,if sacked now we would still have to pay it as he actually hasn't taken us down

From Twitter ......

Sack him today and the club has to pay out millions of £

Sack him in a few games when relegation is confirmed the club can sack him without a fee.

So its one or the other, although I still know which is correct.

Although i did ask last week what the situation was, and nobody replied. I also said it wasn't worth sacking him if we were to be relegated, and said any NEW replacement would not have the same players had they left, so wouldn't be not indusive to any system they'd have wanted until the new players were brought in.

Besides if we were to go down, Pardew is as good as any other manager in the Championship, and as he says he is committed to the club, so is not worth releasing, and could make a fist of it.  So time will tell as clever deciding is better than the heart ruling.

RE: A stay of execution - Beefy 1965 - 05-03-2018

What ever the reasons or whenever he goes he needs replacing asap
Tactically inept , Full Stop !!
If it's after we are relegated so be it now save us a couple of million towards paying the next manager I suppose ?

RE: A stay of execution - Baggiebob(BBB) - 06-03-2018

(05-03-2018, 21:39)Beefy 1965 Wrote: What ever the reasons or whenever he goes he needs replacing asap
Tactically inept , Full Stop !!
If it's after we are relegated so be it now save us a couple of million towards paying the next manager I suppose ?

Pardew will know this, as he's in a hard place can't he just resign and still get his money?

RE: A stay of execution - Sir Megson - 06-03-2018

I think we're forgetting that we're still in need of a chairman and chief executive - I'm far more concerned about who will be the new chairman than manager at the moment.

As much as I don't want Pardew in for next season, nobody is going to want the job in it's current state. Nailed on relegation and uncertainty at board level currently. I'd be amazed if we had any sort of suitable replacement lined up right now.

RE: A stay of execution - meandbrenarebaggies - 07-03-2018

Up the club today where the old gits I call friends were deep in discussion about football
managers and how good, bad and ugly they are. After listening to how vitally important
managers are and how the team is just an extension of their brilliance I was asked my opinion. I stated that IMHO managers were of very little importance at all. After the pin had dropped I was rounded on for such heretical views. I stood my ground. Fifty per cent
of substitutions are wrong; Fifty per cent of team selections are wrong; Fifty per cent of
anything a manager does or says is wrong so why worry about them? The problems we
face now will be resolved on the field of play by PLAYERS and we are suffering because
we clung to an ageing squad when we should have invested in young players years ago.

RE: A stay of execution - Beefy 1965 - 12-03-2018

Alan Pardew expected to remain West Brom boss despite sixth straight league defeat
By Rob Dorsett
Last Updated: 11/03/18 7:30pm

West Bromwich Albion have no immediate plans to change head coach Alan Pardew for someone else, Sky Sports News understands.

The situation with Albion's decision makers remains as it was before their latest Premier League defeat - a sixth in a row - that they do not think sacking Pardew right now would improve their chances of staying in the top flight.

As well as being costly, they feel it may hamper the process of deciding who can best lead the team next season.

RE: A stay of execution - Beefy 1965 - 12-03-2018

Alan Pardew expected to remain as West Brom head coach for now
By Matt Wilson | West Bromwich Albion | Published: 1 hour ago

Alan Pardew is expected to cling onto his job for the time being despite inviting the Baggies board to sack him after a seventh successive defeat

Read more at https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2018/03/12/alan-pardew-expected-to-remain-as-west-brom-head-coach-for-now/#H81pSkAWuwVXm7w3.99

So Pardew asked the Board to sack him yet they Declined ???
Interesting this as this surely means Pardew said sack me and pay me off other than offering his resignation ?? WTF ?
Says everything about pardew if this is true Doh