Sports Babble - sports forum
Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: West Bromwich Albion (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+----- Thread: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread (/showthread.php?tid=627)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - Ska'dForLife-WBA - 23-10-2014

Just realised this cup tie comes hot on the heels of the Palace match, and I'm unlikely to have time to produce a thread over the weekend, so without further ado...

[Image: sacred_heart_oap_trip.jpg]

All-out aggro expected as the Bournemouth ultras once again turn out in force.

So, for the first time in four years we reach the dizzying heights of the League Cup's fourth round, and manage to avoid Premier League opposition in the process.  Of course, that's no guarantee of success; Bournemouth proved a real dark horse in the Championship last season and were unlucky not to reach the playoffs, and despite losing hotshot Lewis Grabban to Norwich in the summer, replacing him with the young Coventry striker Callum Wilson has proved a masterstroke thus far.  They're once again the Championship's form team, knocking on the door of the playoffs with Wilson one of the division's best goalscorers.  It can't be said enough: you underestimate a confident young team like Bournemouth at your peril.

Of course, on our side is the likelihood that the plucky underdogs will be up against a wealth of internationally-capped (and some World Cup) stars potentially including Ideye, Varela, Blanco, Samaras, Mulumbu, Yacob and Gamboa.  The south coast sea breeze on a Tuesday night in autumn may not be what these guys are used to, but this is professional football: put in a dedicated performance and we can score goals with these boys in the team.  My concern is that we'll also probably see the return of the Olsson/McAuley central defensive partnership, which - to put it politely - did not scale its former impenetrable heights against Hull in the last round, as well as the slightly awkward acclimatisation of Jason Davidson at left-back.  You get the feeling that if a player like Wilson goes at our second-string defence with pace, Bournemouth's own contribution to the scoresheet could be sizeable.

So, a good old-fashioned cup tie with end-to-end action and plenty of goals from both sides?  I do hope so.  Get out there, cheer the boys on, and may the best team on the night earn their quarter-final berth.

Classic Matches

West Bromwich Albion vs Bournemouth

Various

Bournemouth's been a rare treat of a fixture for us through the years, so here's a few from the archives!

9th December 1989: Goodman and Bartlett on target for Albion, before Luther Blissett spoils the fun.

14th August 2007: Craig Beattie does something worthwhile (no, really).

23rd August 2011: Albion go goal-mad during our last visit to the Goldsands.

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - talkSAFT - 23-10-2014

Those "Ultras" are Bournemouth Baggie's old Acid House pals. BB's running scared.

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - wba_1996 - 23-10-2014

Can't decide between these two teams:

Myhill
Gamboa - McAuley - Olsson - Davidson
Blanco - Yacob - Mulumbu - Varela
Anichebe - Ideye

Myhill
Gamboa - McAuley - Olsson - Davidson
Yacob - Mulumbu
Varela - Blanco - Samaras
Ideye

It's amazing that not one of those players are currently in our "first XI". I can definitely see wholesale changes, but I think either of those teams should be capable of getting a positive result.

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - Bournemouth Baggie - 23-10-2014

We have to win. Simple. Breakfast meeting at the Goldsands at 8-00 the following morning on the same table as Tindal and Steve Fletcher.

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - Luke_East_Baggie - 23-10-2014

Bournemouth, I'll try to confirm what pub were getting dropped off in before the game - but it's usually a good couple of miles away from the ground. If not, we usually get to the ground about 30-40 mins before the game, so I'll drop you a text?

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - Stairs - 23-10-2014

Is it easy to park near to the ground - how far from motorways etc. Need to work out how early I need to get there and how late home I would be

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - WBA-Josh - 23-10-2014

Myhill
Gamboa-McAuley-O'Neil-Davidson
Mulumbu-Yacob
Roofe-Blanco-Samaras
Ideye

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - Luke_East_Baggie - 23-10-2014

I had a quick look stairs, and the ground looks about 10 minutes north from the coast, just outside the town centre. Quite close to the university.
Miles and Miles from the motorway, depending which way your going down, a good hour, hour and a half from the motorway.

Steve's the best person to comment, but its going to be a good 3 hours to get down there, depending on traffic, where your coming from etc.

Were leaving at 12, so we can get there for about 3.30-4 to get in the pub.

Depending on penalties , traffic etc, your gonna be back home no earlier than 1oclock.

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - DanTheSmethwickMan - 23-10-2014

Myhill
Gamboa Mcauley Olsson Davidson
O'neil Yacob
Berahino Blanco Varela
Ideye

RE: Bournemouth vs WBA - League Cup Fourth Round Match Thread - Bournemouth Baggie - 23-10-2014

Ok, a quick local guide. Half-term so traffic at rush-hour should be ok although closer to the game will be mad. The closest railway station is Pokesdown as about 2 miles east of the town centre. From the end of M27 about 25 miles and 30-40 mins depending on traffic. Bus from town centre either M2 or 1B. Pubs nearby either the Bell outside Pokesdown station or Sir Percy Shelley (Wetherspoons) in Boscombe then 10-15 minute walk. Any questions guys PM me for my mobile no.