Sports Babble - sports forum
Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Sheffield Wednesday (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+----- Thread: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - peiowl - 08-12-2014

Waste of time trying to talk common sense on here.

Westwood must stay. Read my lips.

I'll go talk with my 3 old ladies again.

They know how to read my lips. Whistle Whistle

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Thurnscoe_OWL - 08-12-2014

Is that because they can't hear any more so have had to adapt?

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 08-12-2014

(08-12-2014, 15:10)peiowl Wrote: Waste of time trying to talk common sense on here.

Westwood must stay. Read my lips.

I'll go talk with my 3 old ladies again.

They know how to read my lips.  Whistle  Whistle

If we are prepared to let £4m of player leave for free then we will never move forward.

Southampton have been doing this for several years. They just sell any player that has a value for as much as possible then re-invest in free transfers & cheap young players then sell them at their peak value. They were in L1 a few years ago, now they are top six in PL.

Here are players they have sold in recent years:

Kevin Phillips - £1m
Peter Crouch - £7m
Theo Walcott - £5m
Nigel Quashie - £1.2m
Gareth Bale - £7m
Chris Baird - £3m
Kenwyne Jones - £6m
David McGoldrick - £1m
Andrew Surman - £1.2m
Alex Oxlade Chamberlain - £12m
Rickie Lambert - £4m
Luke Shaw - £27m
Adam Lallana - £25m
Dejan Lovren - £20m
Callum Chambers - £16m

They have sold players (only included £1m+ fees) for over £136m & improved the team each year.

That is what Wednesday have failed to do. We have hung on to players & let their contract run down. We should have learned this lesson when we got £3m for Brunt & only £500k for Whelan.

That is why Southampton are in the top six in the PL & Wednesday are halfway down the Championship.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Thurnscoe_OWL - 08-12-2014

Yep, sell for £4m, put in a massive sell on clause, make another £2m when Westwood is re-sold. Easy money [Image: thumbup.gif]

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 08-12-2014

I don't want to see Wednesday sell any of their better players, I would prefer they have success with us as opposed to with someone else. But the reality is we are near the limit of our allowed expenditure with our current squad and if we want to stop having to loan players all the time to fill the gaps then we need extra income to be able to bring in players we own to improve the team!!

The key is that this sort of money is used on players who will improve the team now or within one season. There is no point doing this and then bringing in peripheral squad players, any player brought in needs to be a very promising youngster or a first team regular, not bench warmers like we have seen. As MS shows, Southampton have done this for a few years now and they have risen through the ranks from League 1 to the top of the prem using this tactic, we need to do the same. Other clubs have done it as well, the money from Charlie Austin's sale by Burnley was a big part of their promotion last season, the sale of Zaha by Palace greatly helped them, etc, etc.

MM has stated that he will not push into heavy debts again, so we cannot do what Leicester and QPR have done and spend without the income stream. He is determined to stay within the FFP rules, so we have to increase our revenue and a quick way of doing that is to sell better players when we get good offers for them!! Too many times we have watched good players leave the club on free transfers when if we had sold them a year or so earlier we could have impacted the squad far more than the retaining of this one player did!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 08-12-2014

(08-12-2014, 19:54)St Charles Owl Wrote: I don't want to see Wednesday sell any of their better players, I would prefer they have success with us as opposed to with someone else. But the reality is we are near the limit of our allowed expenditure with our current squad and if we want to stop having to loan players all the time to fill the gaps then we need extra income to be able to bring in players we own to improve the team!!

The key is that this sort of money is used on players who will improve the team now or within one season.  There is no point doing this and then bringing in peripheral squad players, any player brought in needs to be a very promising youngster or a first team regular, not bench warmers like we have seen.  As MS shows, Southampton have done this for a few years now and they have risen through the ranks from League 1 to the top of the prem using this tactic, we need to do the same.  Other clubs have done it as well, the money from Charlie Austin's sale by Burnley was a big part of their promotion last season, the sale of Zaha by Palace greatly helped them, etc, etc.

MM has stated that he will not push into heavy debts again, so we cannot do what Leicester and QPR have done and spend without the income stream.  He is determined to stay within the FFP rules, so we have to increase our revenue and a quick way of doing that is to sell better players when we get good offers for them!!  Too many times we have watched good players leave the club on free transfers when if we had sold them a year or so earlier we could have impacted the squad far more than the retaining of this one player did!!

To make this work, we pretty much have to use the money in the same financial year. Basically, we are converting assets into wages money to attract the best YOUNG signings, which means they can be sold on at a decent profit, meaning the money gets recycled into better quality players.

If you hang on to your better players until their contracts run out, all you achive is improving from 16th to 13th for a season then down to 20th the year after when you lose your best player for nothing.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 08-12-2014

Out of curiosity, what is the highest fee we have ever received for a player?? I can't remember many big ones, Brunty may even be the highest!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Owlkev71 - 08-12-2014

Most paid for a player £5.7m, Paolo Di Canio.
Most received, £3m for Chris Brunt.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Southeyowl - 08-12-2014

Bumped

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Thurnscoe_OWL - 09-12-2014

(08-12-2014, 23:51)Southeyowl Wrote: Bumped

Why?