Sports Babble - sports forum
Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Sheffield Wednesday (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+----- Thread: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 05-12-2014

(05-12-2014, 16:20)Towinjustonce Wrote: Where is the 4 million figure coming from ?? Westwood may have something written in his contract saying a 1 million offer is to be accepted by the club. We did well signing Westwood in the first place so  there could be certain stipulations in his contract.

There are rumours that Liverpool are considering a £4m bid for Westwood in January.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 05-12-2014

Unfortunately I don't think we are anywhere near to the point of being able to turn down any transfer fee that is 2m plus!!! The effect that amount of money can have on our squad is too good a chance to turn down. None of our players are irreplaceable but if we unearth a player from virtually nowhere like Westwood has been, then we should cash in on him while we can.

Fans will accept losing the best players, as long as we get a decent amount for them and the money is put back into the squad, but we have a history of simply letting contracts expire and getting nothing for players we could have commanded a fee for earlier. Teams like Southampton financed their rise up the leagues by selling their best players and then reinvesting in the youth team and senior squad. I am not saying we have a Gareth Bale or Walcott in our squad but we get too attached to good players and keep them past their selling point. Soton sold Walcott after only 21 appearances for them, Bale only made 45 and Oxlade-Chamberlain made 43.

We have to be more ruthless, Westwood is not going to get us to the Prem on his own and Kirkland, while clearly not as good, is still not a bad replacement. But if selling him means we can finance a couple of decent midfielders and a striker, assuming they are upgrades to what we currently have, then I say take the money and lets move on!! We do not have the finances to challenge consistently in this league, we have to sell our better players to achieve this. Of course having a good manager and scouting system is also key but one thing at a time!!!

(05-12-2014, 19:42)Imre varadi Wrote: Kirkland isnt worth a wank !! hes **** rubbish at his posts and cant defend free kicks !! and if your a wednesday goal keeper then you are going to get lots of free kicks against you !! id rather buy someone else if the worst happens !!

Maybe thats what we would have to do, but either way if we get a 4m offer for Westwood we would have to take it!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Southeyowl - 05-12-2014

If Liverpool or anyone else offered 4M for Westwood, MM would drive him there without hesitation!

And if he gave it to SG or a New manager to spend on the squad I could live with that!

I woulsd want Dawson in the net though! See what the lad can do!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Thurnscoe_OWL - 05-12-2014

If anyone offered £4m I would drive him there myself

(05-12-2014, 20:03)Southeyowl Wrote: If Liverpool or anyone else offered 4M for Westwood, MM would drive him there without hesitation!

And if he gave it to SG or a New manager to spend on the squad I could live with that!

I woulsd want Dawson in the net though! See what the lad can do!

Is Dawson any good?? I haven't seen him play so have no idea!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Maddix - 05-12-2014

If we get some money in from selling players are we allowed to spend it all or does it count as turnover and become restricted under FFP ?

(05-12-2014, 22:42)Maddix Wrote: If we get some money in from selling players are we allowed to spend it all or does it count as turnover and become restricted under FFP ?

It is classed as income and therefore increases our ability to spend more elsewhere.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 06-12-2014

Southampton are a model of how to get to the top - get players in for nothing (or next to nothing), get them under a decent contract then sell them, bring more players in for nothing & repeat.

Look at the money they have raised - Shaw 27m, Lallana 25m, Lovren, 20m, Chambers 16m, Lambert 4m, Oxlade Chamberlain 12m, McGoldrick 1m, Surman 1.2m, Baird 3m, Jones 6m, Bale 7m, Phillips 1m, Crouch 7m, Walcott 5m, Quashie 1.2m

In the last 8 years, Southampton have taken over 136m (plus add ons) in transfer fees and it started when they were in L1 when they sold players under contract & brought players in for free so they could compete better on wages.

Wednesday still haven't learned that you don't let a player's contract get into a final year unless you intend to release them as no good. Was Brunt £2.5m better than Whelan? No, just that we let Whelan's contract run down & lost most of the value.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Towinjustonce - 06-12-2014

If we get 2 million plus we will sell Westwood and fair enough. The problem is will the money go into the squad. We will loan a keeper to replace Westwood for instance and then come the summer we will have to get 2 new keepers in as kirklands contract will be up. In my view this is madness and we have never had the foresight with players and contracts, the most recent Antonio. Yes Southampton have a model but one the owners set up or bought into. We have an owner who wants rid and doesn't seem to want to tie players to long contracts. If Semedo, Madine and mattock all decide to leave that's 5 new players needed come the summer. That's not building that's stop gap squad building which SG, Aldridge or MM have to put a stop to and none seem to want to. There is no future planning from the top down as the person at the top doesn't want us. Which leads me to a question I asked before. Why did MM buy us and what did he plan to do with us ??? Fooking annoys me.