Sports Babble - sports forum
Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Sheffield Wednesday (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+----- Thread: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Maddix - 04-12-2014

Is PEI still alive Huh I thought he'd given in and started spending all his time watching soap operas Laugh

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 04-12-2014

When we talk about spending more money, I presume that people mean increasing the wage budget rather than giving other clubs the money in transfer fees.

Statistically, the thing that makes the most difference is the wage budget. You get the odd exception like Burnley but 80% of team finish within three places of where they stand in a table of wage budgets. The key is to get fees for players when they leave and invest the money into wages for better players.

We face a difficult decision with Westwood during the next two transfer windows. Do we cash in & take possibly £4m or do we keep him for another season & lose him for nothing? Clearly we have to cash in & use the money to reinvest in the wage budget. Certainly we don't want to waste it on transfer fees.

For me, we lost money on Antonio because of SG's haste to move him on & there is a danger that we lose Madine for nothing when under contract he would be worth £500k.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - peiowl - 04-12-2014

(04-12-2014, 00:58)Maddix Wrote: Is PEI still alive  Huh I thought he'd given in and started spending all his time watching soap operas  Laugh

Watch yer tongue yer young wippersnapper.

Want me to go bangin on abart Corernation street on ere?

Nowt bloody appenin at moment.

Michelle, who's a luvely lass, keeps comin on ter that meathead Steve who thick as a plank keeps staring inter space.

Chuffin ell.

[Image: steve+and+michelle.jpg]

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Thurnscoe_OWL - 04-12-2014

pei get onto the non football thread and answer my questions Doh

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 04-12-2014

(04-12-2014, 14:56)Imre varadi Wrote: It makes me shiver just thinking about losing westwood  Sad  we would have been bottom of the league without him  Sad  hes the best keeper we have had ever i think ? and i say that after only half a season !! hes worth giving a contract for the next 5 years and if we have to sell half the team then so be it  Whistle lose him and weve got knowbody  Thumb down

Westwood was lost, hence we got him for free.

There are now two choices (because his stock has gone up & he won't sign another contract with us):

1) Let him go for free in 18 months time

2) Sell him in January or July for £4m

Given those choices, we would be negligent not to sell him.

Clubs cash in on our players (Forest claim to have turned away interest in Antonio at £5m) so now it's our turn to cash in on a player. It will give us a bigger wage budget which will allow us to compete better for next summer's players.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - peiowl - 04-12-2014

"hope we are in the premier or thereabouts?"

what have you been on, imre?   Laugh

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 04-12-2014

If we are able to get 4m for Westwood then I think we should take it in January. But MM has to commit to spending that money on the squad as a whole, and yes that should be in increased wages rather than transfer fees. By that stage we will have an clear picture of our chances of climbing the table with a few key acquisitions.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 05-12-2014

(04-12-2014, 17:38)Imre varadi Wrote: id rather have him for 18 months and hope we are in the premier or near abouts by then !! to tempt him to stay !! selling him unless we bring on dawson quicker would be suicide with kirkland !!

If we are prepared to lose £4m then we will never move forward. That would fund eight Jeremy Helans for a year.

We have to protect our assets. Mattock, Semedo & Madine will be leaving for free next summer unless we extend their contracts now & it will cost more to bring in replacements.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Towinjustonce - 05-12-2014

Where is the 4 million figure coming from ?? Westwood may have something written in his contract saying a 1 million offer is to be accepted by the club. We did well signing Westwood in the first place so there could be certain stipulations in his contract.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Owlkev71 - 05-12-2014

Sell Westwood and a relegation battle might be on the cards, keep him and we stay where we are. We are several players from a playoff team and at least 6 from an outright Promotion team.

HohohoHohoho