Sports Babble - sports forum
Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Sheffield Wednesday (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+----- Thread: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 18-11-2014

(18-11-2014, 02:48)Imre varadi Wrote: Both look like a toss of the coin  Huh  carlton for nuhui maybe  Thumb up  but do we need dexter blackstock when we have May who is better  Doh  and does this mean that GTF is shit as many said  he was Whistle  

Its all down to the manager again because we have the strikers  Doh  but we dont have anyone with the tactical nouse to feed them  Doh  id even go as far as saying when sg does get the boot bring madine back and we are ok  Sick

This again is just another mirror of dj  Doh  sign striker after striker and  not more than 3 goals from about 5 strikers bought  Doh  what does this say about the manager  Thumb down  i mean we all get it wrong once or twice but when its 3 times or 4 times then we are shown the door  Doh

Sg is on number 3 loan striker since coming here if afobe was his signing ? best shit  Thumb down  afobe shit  Thumb down  GTF  shit  Thumb down  number 4 coming up  Doh

DJ did at least bring in three players who contributed greatly & kept us up over the last two seasons - Lita, Fryatt & Wickham (although DJ departed before Wickham took off last season.

Lita - P17 Scored 6 He scored three winning goals

Fryatt - P9 Scored 4 He scored two goals that each earned us a draw.

Wickham - P17 Scored 9 He scored winning goals against Leicester twice and gave us hope.

SG also brought in Hallam Hope as a striker but played him on the wing.

Afobe is a good player but we brought him in when he was recovering from a long term injury so he was only just getting up to full speed when he left. He scored two goals from five starts including the win at Reading. This season, he has scored 15 (more than the entire Wednesday team) from 20 starts including two against Man Utd in the League Cup. He is probably what we need right now although our midfield wouldn't have provided him that many chances.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 18-11-2014

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/17/the-key-area-michail-antonio-has-raised-his-game-at-nottingham-f/

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/17/leeds-and-charlton-may-smile-but-sheffield-wednesday-and-blackpo/

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - peiowl - 18-11-2014

We're losing $$$ hand over fist.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheff-weds/sheffield-wednesday-owls-losing-6-million-a-year-with-worse-to-come-warns-chairman-milan

Attendances are going in a downward spiral. Maybe a few more people in the ground would help the bottom line?

How do you do that?

Not by doing nothing!!!

It's all about results on the pitch!!

Getting rid of SG and bringing in a couple of quality players may not bring success. It's always a gamble. Like life itself.

But doing nothing is a sure way to failure and the bottom line will get worse!! Angry Angry Angry

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Statesideowl - 18-11-2014

The belief that carried the players earlier in the season is now gone. We're staring down the barrel again, who knows when the gun will go off.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Towinjustonce - 18-11-2014

I don't know what MM's game is but telling the world that we are losing 6 million a year and it will only get worse is a sure way of frightening off any potential invstors. What's he playing at ?? Is it his way of being able to ask for more money if someone does want to buy us ??

Also where is the money going ?? Alot of the players were frees, he isn't paying a manager, the squad is wafer thin and by all accounts he hasn't spent a lot on the ground. I don't know the running costs of a club and if MM does he doesn't seem to be getting any costs down, they are going the other way. You have to spend money to make money MM !!!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 18-11-2014

(18-11-2014, 11:35)madsteve Wrote: http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/17/leeds-and-charlton-may-smile-but-sheffield-wednesday-and-blackpo/

The above article is very telling of our season so far!! Yes we need a midfield general/creative player but we also still need a striker who can put the ball in the net on a regular basis!! Our shots total is respectable but the number of goals is patheitic by comparison and our on target percentage is even lower than Blackpools!!! So yes we do need a striker, as well as another midfielder!!

(18-11-2014, 15:40)Statesideowl Wrote: The belief that carried the players earlier in the season is now gone. We're staring down the barrel again, who knows when the gun will go off.

I only partly agree with that, the belief has gone as regards scoring goals and attacking play, but so far the defence is still holding up and keeping us in games. Of course its only a matter of time before that confidence is shot as well but if we can just score a few more goals we will win games because of the good defence.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Thurnscoe_OWL - 18-11-2014

(18-11-2014, 18:30)Towinjustonce Wrote: I don't know what MM's game is but telling the world that we are losing 6 million a year and it will only get worse is a sure way of frightening off any potential invstors. What's he playing at ?? Is it his way of being able to ask for more money if someone does want to buy us ??

Also where is the money going ?? Alot of the players were frees, he isn't paying a manager, the squad is wafer thin and by all accounts he hasn't spent a lot on the ground. I don't know the running costs of a club and if MM does he doesn't seem to be getting any costs down, they are going the other way. You have to spend money to make money MM !!!!

Disagree about scaring people off. You think people who are interested won't know about the financial situation? It won't stop anyone being interested.
I see it more as a "we're only losing £6m a year, compared to other teams we're not doing too bad". We're in a much better financial position than most other teams. The likes of Forest, Bournemouth, Leeds (ish) who throw tonnes of money at it will be in deep shit if they continue to struggle to get promoted.

We've got 2 options as far as I see it
  1. Throw everything at it in the hope we get promoted and get the financial rewards that way.
  2. Try to be shrewd, build on our position every year until we're in a stable position to form a promotion push

I'd rather take option 2 personally

What has football come to though when we're saying a £6m loss is not that bad?

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Towinjustonce - 18-11-2014

(18-11-2014, 19:49)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote:
(18-11-2014, 18:30)Towinjustonce Wrote: I don't know what MM's game is but telling the world that we are losing 6 million a year and it will only get worse is a sure way of frightening off any potential invstors. What's he playing at ?? Is it his way of being able to ask for more money if someone does want to buy us ??

Disagree about scaring people off. You think people who are interested won't know about the financial situation? It won't stop anyone being interested.
I see it more as a "we're only losing £6m a year, compared to other teams we're not doing too bad". We're in a much better financial position than most other teams. The likes of Forest, Bournemouth, Leeds (ish) who throw tonnes of money at it will be in deep shit if they continue to struggle to get promoted.

We've got 2 options as far as I see it

1. Throw everything at it in the hope we get promoted and get the financial rewards that way.
  2. Try to be shrewd, build on our position every year until we're in a stable position to form a promotion push

I'd rather take option 2 personally

What has football come to though when we're saying a £6m loss is not that bad?

Yeah some good points there Thurnscoe but if I was a potential investor and had a choice between Forest, Bournemouth or Wednesday, I would be looking at the first two. They may be losing a lot more money than us but they have more of a chance to get promoted sooner, which is what every potential investor is after. It depends on who is looking obviously. Someone who wants to take there time and build or an investor who wants near instant success (riches) and the latter is where most are at. Forest have better players, more up to date ground and a better back room team than us I'd say, shit manager thou, while bournmouth have something similar but a good manager. Why would anyone pick us to invest in ?? Game by game losing places for a chance at promotion, ground at a poor standard, pretty decent 8-9 players and a shit manager. Rectifying sll these problems won't come cheap, it will require a lot of money. If our only positive is we are only losing 6 million a year, well fook !!! Is that MM selling point ?? We are pretty much a blank canvas for a new investor but a lot of them don't want that, as I think can be seen by how many other clubs have been bought over since MM stated he wanted to sell. They want a solid structure already there, good foundations. MM needs to spend money to make money, players first to bring in crowds and then stadium, then we have a solid foundation to invest in. If MM is playing the option 2 card, we will never make it up and he will never be able to sell. Money runs the game as we can see.

I hope I am wrong and I actually want any sort of investor to come in and gives us a dig out, preferably tomorrow too !!! Otherwise we will end up going in circles, with stadium etc getting more delapidated and less promising with higher losses.

Anyway onwards and upwards !!!! Thumb up

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 19-11-2014

(18-11-2014, 15:10)Imre varadi Wrote: Afobe s shit he plays in the pub league  Thumb down  even madine scored down there  Whistle

15 goals (& some bloody good goals) before the end of November is good in any league.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 19-11-2014

(18-11-2014, 22:57)Imre varadi Wrote: hopefully we can get lavery upfront with may  Thumb up  job done  Thumb up

If we were to play those two up front then the midfield would really have to find the through balls for them to latch onto, neither of these will hold the ball up that well and both tend to get used out wide or in midfield under SG!! They would need strict instructions to stay up top with the oppositions back line.