Sports Babble - sports forum
Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Sheffield Wednesday (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+----- Thread: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 01:44)St Charles Owl Wrote: To be fair Madsteve, all three of those you mention are white, male and played regular football!!  Mourinho may not have played top tier football, but he earned his coaching and managerial credentials under some of the best coaches around.

If we are to get rid of SG, then personally I would like to see us take a chance on a younger coach who may have just retired from playing,  someone like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.  Getting in an ex-player is a no for me as we always turn legends into failures at S6.  The only exception I would make would be Pearson if he were to leave Leicester.

Very few coaches actually give added value to a club. Most are pretty much the same unless you get a Fergie or Wenger.

The key is to have a Club Philosophy of how to play and the coach plays within those parameters which means that little is lost when a coach is changed.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 07-11-2014

MS, that sounds good in theory but the reality is that very few clubs have any sort of consistent philosophy. If we are going to have anything remotely resembling a club philosophy then that has to come down from the top of the club and with all due respect to MM and PA, that is not their forte!! If we are to do this then surely we need a Director of Football to oversea the whole club??

I still think a particular coach can instill his own style and methods onto a squad and get more out of the same group of players with a better formation and more progressive tactics. I have no problem with 442 if we had the players who could play that formation, so in the absence of that we need a coach who can be flexible and adapt to whats best for the players at his disposal or who he can bring in.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - peiowl - 07-11-2014

Dreaming? More like a nightmare.   Laugh

(07-11-2014, 03:32)St Charles Owl Wrote: MS, that sounds good in theory but the reality is that very few clubs have any sort of consistent philosophy.  If we are going to have anything remotely resembling a club philosophy then that has to come down from the top of the club and with all due respect to MM and PA, that is not their forte!!  If we are to do this then surely we need a Director of Football to oversea the whole club??

I still think a particular coach can instill his own style and methods onto a squad and get more out of the same group of players with a better formation and more progressive tactics.  I have no problem with 442 if we had the players who could play that formation, so in the absence of that we need a coach who can be flexible and adapt to whats best for the players at his disposal or who he can bring in.

By having a philosophy set up, all our teams from first team down to the juniors all play the same way which means that juniors can step up more comfortably when the time is right.

I remember Johan Cruyff doing this at Barcelona where he switched all the teams to 433. A formation they still use to this day. I also remember him throwing a 17 year old Pep Guardiola into the first team & he settled immediately because it was the system he was used to.

Does anyone want to enter the sweep for the next Wednesday goal?

I have gone for May which leaves February & April if anyone wants a go.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Owlkev71 - 07-11-2014

I agree with MS. If the first team played 442, you wouldn't have the development squad play 352, it wouldn't make sense.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - peiowl - 08-11-2014

I wish you lot had listened to me when I said Colin should have been appointed.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Was Wereham Owl - 08-11-2014

Pei, I can tell from that statement you are suffering early onset Dementia, but look on the Brightside, Terry Pratchett is still writing books with the same affliction, .. he just can't remember what they are about !!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 08-11-2014

We don't need Colin & we don't need SG.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 08-11-2014

(08-11-2014, 01:08)madsteve Wrote: We don't need Colin & we don't need SG.

Who do we need?? For me that is the big question!!