Sports Babble - sports forum
Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Sheffield Wednesday (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+----- Thread: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 25-09-2014

There is a certain pattern with MM's statements to the press.

1) Rumours of takeovers just as transfer windows opens then the transfer rumour is quashed just after the transfer window closes.

2) He makes these "you really should love me" statements when fans are on an up so that the more gullible will believe him. Doing this the day before the Man City match when fans are excited is typical.

3) Announcing that a player has been offered a new contract when fans are disappointed. So maybe after a defeat or criticism of him for lack of spending. He did this with Palmer & Lavery last season.

You have to admire him for knowing how to use the media but I am amazed how fans keep falling for it.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Southeyowl - 25-09-2014

(25-09-2014, 10:15)madsteve Wrote: There is a certain pattern with MM's statements to the press.

1) Rumours of takeovers just as transfer windows opens then the transfer rumour is quashed just after the transfer window closes.

2) He makes these "you really should love me" statements when fans are on an up so that the more gullible will believe him. Doing this the day before the Man City match when fans are excited is typical.

3) Announcing that a player has been offered a new contract when fans are disappointed. So maybe after a defeat or criticism of him for lack of spending. He did this with Palmer & Lavery last season.

You have to admire him for knowing how to use the media but I am amazed how fans keep falling for it.

We don't have a choice though madsteve! his PR officer should be paid a packet though!

End of the day if it were not for MM we may not even be discussing this issue or be on this Forum!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 25-09-2014

(25-09-2014, 13:48)Southeyowl Wrote:
(25-09-2014, 10:15)madsteve Wrote: There is a certain pattern with MM's statements to the press.

We don't have a choice though madsteve! his PR officer should be paid a packet though!

End of the day if it were not for MM we may not even be discussing this issue or be on this Forum!

Not knocking MM but I am amazed at how many fans fall for all his rubbish.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Southeyowl - 25-09-2014

I agree totally

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 25-09-2014

I am not convinced it is all rubbish!! I think there is some truth in everything he says, he just controls the timing of the release of the news very well. You can tell from all these statements that he talks in very general terms, he gives a few facts about a true story but with no meat on the bones, he then lets the fans imaginations run wild and fill in the gaps however they see fit!! I am sure we did have a club ask about one of our players during the transfer window but nothing came of it, so he holds on to that info until it the club feels its the right time to release it. It truly is great PR at the end of the day!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 26-09-2014

(25-09-2014, 18:21)St Charles Owl Wrote: I am not convinced it is all rubbish!!  I think there is some truth in everything he says, he just controls the timing of the release of the news very well.  You can tell from all these statements that he talks in very general terms, he gives a few facts about a true story but with no meat on the bones, he then lets the fans imaginations run wild and fill in the gaps however they see fit!!  I am sure we did have a club ask about one of our players during the transfer window but nothing came of it, so he holds on to that info until it the club feels its the right time to release it.  It truly is great PR at the end of the day!!

Whilst it is brilliant PR, which player did we turn down a bid of several million for in the summer? Several million means at least three million & probably over four million. I would suggest that we didn't.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Maddix - 26-09-2014

It was probably Antonio Whistle and then when it became apparent that Borat was wasting our time Angry we sold him for 1.2M instead Doh

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 26-09-2014

(26-09-2014, 10:12)madsteve Wrote:
(25-09-2014, 18:21)St Charles Owl Wrote: I am not convinced it is all rubbish!!  I think there is some truth in everything he says, he just controls the timing of the release of the news very well.  You can tell from all these statements that he talks in very general terms, he gives a few facts about a true story but with no meat on the bones, he then lets the fans imaginations run wild and fill in the gaps however they see fit!!  I am sure we did have a club ask about one of our players during the transfer window but nothing came of it, so he holds on to that info until it the club feels its the right time to release it.  It truly is great PR at the end of the day!!

Whilst it is brilliant PR, which player did we turn down a bid of several million for in the summer? Several million means at least three million & probably over four million. I would suggest that we didn't.

I would agree with that! As I said there is some truth in the statements and probably some embellishment as well!!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 26-09-2014

(26-09-2014, 16:26)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(26-09-2014, 10:12)madsteve Wrote:

I would agree with that!  As I said there is some truth in the statements and probably some embellishment as well!!!

5% truth & 95% embellishment, at a guess.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 26-09-2014

With regard to that particular statement then probably yes!!