Sports Babble - sports forum
Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Sheffield Wednesday (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+----- Thread: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Chezzie Owl - 18-09-2014

I agree another winger who's slightly different to Drenthe but is as much as a threat as him and who can put in a good cross and can play in the same side...BM10, wouldn't it be perfect!!

...shame he hit 2 on Saturday, and he's started the last 4 games so is back in Bowyers thoughts now Cry

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - consilio - 18-09-2014

Spot on Chez. Creativity from the middle of the pitch is non existent with Coke and Semedo who are only really squad players.

I think Hutch and Lee can provide us with what we are missing. Especially if Drenthe can get fit as well

Marshall scored last night as well. He won't be coming back here.

Marshall scored last night as well. He won't be coming back here.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Chezzie Owl - 18-09-2014

Bugger he did didn't he Doh

Well I kinda knew he wouldn't be back after the 2 he hit on Saturday.

Just hope that Maguire can sort his form out, from what I hear he did a lot better on Tuesday, lets hope the talking to that SG gave him has hit home. I think Maguire got too comfortable and thought he was indispensable to SG and took his foot off the gas a bit, well with Drenthe coming in and Helan hitting a goal too the other night, I hope that he realises that he INST indispensable and that another drabperformance from him will see him dropped. He has ability and IS a good player, but his attitude can get the better of him at times, he can't go thinking he is the main man...NO-ONE is but a part of the team and I reckon SG has told him that too!!

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 18-09-2014

(18-09-2014, 16:10)Chezzie Owl Wrote: Bugger he did didn't he Doh

Well I kinda knew he wouldn't be back after the 2 he hit on Saturday.

Just hope that Maguire can sort his form out, from what I hear he did a lot better on Tuesday, lets hope the talking to that SG gave him has hit home. I think Maguire got too comfortable and thought he was indispensable to SG and took his foot off the gas a bit, well with Drenthe coming in and Helan hitting a goal too the other night, I hope that he realises that he INST indispensable and that another drabperformance from him will see him dropped. He has ability and IS a good player, but his attitude can get the better of him at times, he can't go thinking he is the main man...NO-ONE is but a part of the team and I reckon SG has told him that too!!

I don't think that Maguire is that good of a player. To me he is a below average Championship player who had a hot spell. He had three years of flopping at Derby & 18 months flopping for Wednesday then a three month hot spell. The likelihood is that he won't have another hot spell & will fade from the starting eleven.

I will always judge each match as I see it & he played a bit better on Tuesday but that doesn't change my overall view that we need better.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - consilio - 18-09-2014

To be fair he isn't a midfield player. He needs to play up front or just off the front.

He's a useful squad player but definitely not a star

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Thurnscoe_OWL - 19-09-2014

Just going back to Antonio for a second, yes he was brilliant for us but he had started to stagnate and for the good of him and us he needed to move on. MM knew the takeover was off and we were woefully short on numbers. By selling Antonio it paved the way for 4 players in and I think the rest of the money will be there for SG to strengthen further if needs be (a CAM would be nice)

Now back to Maguire, a friend of a friend rents a house to him. I've passed on a message for him to get his act together and start taking better corners Big Grin

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 19-09-2014

(19-09-2014, 00:30)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: Just going back to Antonio for a second, yes he was brilliant for us but he had started to stagnate and for the good of him and us he needed to move on. MM knew the takeover was off and we were woefully short on numbers. By selling Antonio it paved the way for 4 players in and I think the rest of the money will be there for SG to strengthen further if needs be (a CAM would be nice)

Now back to Maguire, a friend of a friend rents a house to him. I've passed on a message for him to get his act together and start taking better corners Big Grin

That doesn't stack up on finances. We received £1.3m for Antonio & paid £800k for May so we have a £500k surplus on those deals. We have already saved over £40k per week by releasing Taylor, Gardner, Reda, JJ, Prutton & Llera which more than covers the wages of the new players, Westwood, Lees & Dielna.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - St Charles Owl - 19-09-2014

I had no problem selling Antonio, as has been said I think MM knew the takeover was doomed so having held off in the hope it would go through he raised money by selling an asset. My problem currently is that we have yet to see the full amount for the sale reinvested back in the team. Our wage bill as Madsteve said is definitely lower than what it was last season after all the departures, so i expected to see 2/3 new signings after MA left. I hope this money is still available for loan signing and the January window!!

I agree Imre, the problem is not with the best starting 11, the problem is how many times can we put that starting 11 out, and when we can't what depth do we have. We have had a good start, in fact great by our standards, but we could not take any more injuries in the squad without our form really suffering!! I am happy with what we have and think its the best team we have had in a long time, but with 2/3 key additions we could really have a good go this season. Also as you say, any additions we make to the team now should not just be squad players, they should be players who are at least as good if not better than our best starting 11!! That makes it difficult to find them, but lets not throw money at loanees who will only sit on the bench if our starting 11 are fit.

I am not sure the Championship in Scotland is better than the Scottish Prem, it is probably going to be a more interesting race this season but I think the general standard of football is behind our Championship!!