Sports Babble - sports forum
Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Printable Version

+- Sports Babble - sports forum (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk)
+-- Forum: Football (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: English Football Leagues (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Sky Bet Championship (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+----- Forum: Sheffield Wednesday (https://www.sportsbabble.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+----- Thread: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half (/showthread.php?tid=12)

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - madsteve - 18-09-2014

(17-09-2014, 23:42)consilio Wrote:
(17-09-2014, 22:50)Maddix Wrote:
(17-09-2014, 22:36)consilio Wrote: Another goal and assist for Antonio tonight

Good luck to him n'all  Thumb up

but it's a bit like 'look at the tits on my ex-girlfriend, they're ace and I wish I was still .....'  Doh

Like we had with COG all last season!! Whistle

(17-09-2014, 23:21)madsteve Wrote:
(17-09-2014, 22:50)Maddix Wrote:
(17-09-2014, 22:36)consilio Wrote: Another goal and assist for Antonio tonight

Good luck to him n'all  Thumb up

but it's a bit like 'look at the tits on my ex-girlfriend, they're ace and I wish I was still .....'  Doh

Why is anyone surprised?

No-one got more assists in the Championship over the last seasons than Antonio. We lacked someone to take all the chances he set up.

Nobody is surprised

I have read lots of Wednesday fans saying that Antonio was rubbish. Poor judgement.

(18-09-2014, 00:53)Imre varadi Wrote: hes gone weve got stevie may ... move on .. he wont be remembered at Hillsborough in 20 years time because he missed more than what he scored !! 7 out of 10 your not in any wednesday great team !! bye bye !!

Antonio will be remembered because he scored that amazing last minute goal against Carlisle that effectively meant we got promoted and United missed out. The roar that greeted that goal was the loudest I have ever experienced at S6, louder than our PL days.

The fact that Antonio is currently the hottest property in the Championship and rumours of his value soaring already to £7m will grate with Wednesday fans that we let him go for a quarter of that just five weeks ago. I think he will be remembered because so far, he has been our most exciting player this decade. There is every chance that May will do something similar but for the sake of £800k, we could have had both Antonio & May & would be favourites for promotion.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Chezzie Owl - 18-09-2014

Kinda wish MM had made Forest put in a sell on clause in the deal now Doh

Anyroad, we have Drenthe and before Imre spouts off about being a headless chicken, he ISN'T I seen him play years ago for Madrid and he created a lot of chances for them back then and an absolute knightmare for any full back, from what I seen of his debut I think once he is match fit then all despondencies of Antonio leaving will be forgotten. He is a similar player to Antonio...only with a better pedigree and IS quality...just hope though that he behaves himself but SG is the type of manager who throws his arm around players when they need it and Drenthe is the kind of person who needs to feel appreciated to get the best out of him. I think he'll be ok here and will prove to be a great player for us.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - consilio - 18-09-2014

I hope so Chez because we may only be a decent winger away from a playoff side

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Maddix - 18-09-2014

The problem with that Chezzie is the fact that Drenthe is not our player Doh If he performs owt like he can the fee will go up, Reading will recall him or someone else will outbid us for his services Doh

And FFS Angry are we the only clowns who have never heard of a sell-on clause Huh Angry

I very much doubt Drenthe will go back there, he wasn't even training with the first team, they want rid of him big time and he wants no further involvement at Reading. If they simply released him then they have to pay out comensation and with the wages he is on they'll have to pay out big so they want someone to take him rather than release him. All being well and it works out for him here, will sign a permanent deal here. I think we only singed him on loan just so we can see how things will work out here and to cover our backs if things didn't work out or if Roysten misbehaves and we can send him back, we are not paying his full wage and if things DO work out then as I said I think we'll sign him permanently in Jan...I get the feeling we have that option to sign him, dependant on how things go.

The issue with Antonio is that it was Wednesday that instigated the move, not Antonio & not Forest, We approached Forest & said they could have him which meant we had little control over the extras, particularly as we wanted cash up front.

Antonio was organising tickets for friends and relatives for the Brighton match less than 24 hours before the deal happened.

This discussion will continue because Antonio is the star man at the team that is top of the table - two more assists and a goal last night. Antonio has got more Championship assists than any other player over the last two years & that is with injuries and terrible strikers missing most of the chances.

I would be tempted to go further & say we would go up if we had got May & kept Antonio.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Owlkev71 - 18-09-2014

We still need more firepower. Only four teams have scored less than us and they are all in the bottom six. The defense has been excellent Thumb up so far but they wont be able to bail us out every game.

Well as far as 20 goal strikers & firepower are concerned we have that in May...just need the creativity in CM and need Drenthe match fit for him to do that, another striker isn't the answer and May cannot keep looking for the ball, his job is to make runs and get in behind defences and get onto passes, presently there isn't nay of that what with Hutch and Lee still out and all Coke has done really is keep things ticking over making simple passes and not made any defence splitting passes for him...that's the problem, not a lack of fire power, as I said the other day we could have Falcao and it wouldn't make any difference, without service it's pointless having strikers out there.

RE: Sheff Weds 2014-15 - The First Half - Owlkev71 - 18-09-2014

We don't know if May is the 20 goal striker, we all hope he is of course. Still could do with another winger imo, Maghoma and McGuire have been inconsistent this season.